REALTOR® vs. For Sale By Owner
Did you know that only about ten percent of people try to sell their own homes? In fact, the total number of FSBO property sales has fallen from 20 to just nine percent in the past decade. There's a reason for this. According to the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR), the average For Sale By Owner home sells for $40,100 less than a home listed by an agent ($174,900 compared to $215,000).
- 89% of all buyers purchased their home through a real estate agent
- 90% of all buyers search online during their home buying process
- Only 28% of all buyers look to print newspaper ads as an offline resource
- The percentage of homes selling as a FSBO has decreased from 19% to 9% in the last 20 years
- Typical Sold Price:
- By FSBO ($174,900)
- By AGENT ($215,000)
- FSBO homes take 19 more days to sell, and more time on the market means a lower selling price.
- 20 % of FSBO properties end up re-listing on the MLS, converting to an average of 68 days longer on the market than REALTOR® properties
- A REALTOR® will help you sell your home in 69 days, whereas a FSBO home will take 88 days to sell
- 70 percent of those trying to sell their own homes said that they had significant difficulty selling